Porcelain tea cup with two saucers

  • Item has been sold

Artist/Maker: Kuznetsov porcelain factory

Artist/Maker Dates: 1832 - 1940

Place of Production: Latvia, Riga

Date of Production: 1937 - 1940

Materials: gilding, porcelain

Height of the cup: 6.5 cm.

Diameter of saucer: 15 cm., 19 cm.

Description

Kuznetsov Porcelain Factory in Riga was founded in 1841, but official establishment date of the company in Russia was considered in 1812, when Kuznetsov established his first company in Gzhel (Гжель) near Moscow. At Riga`s factory produced halffaience, but from 1851 porcelain products. In 1864 after Sidor Kuznetsov death management of the company's was taken over by his son Matvey Kuznetsov. In 1872 Matvey Kuznetsov changed company name to M. S. Kuznetsov company. Raw materials for the Riga`s factory came from internal provinces of the Russian Empire, as well as from Germany, Holland, France, Scandinavia, coal - from England. Part of the factory product was sold on the local market and in other provinces of the Russian Empire, the rest of the production was exported to England, Holland and other countries.

In 1887 Matvey Kuznetsov changed the name of the company again as: "M. S. Kuznetsov public porcelain Factory". From 1889 the factory was owned by M. S. Kuznetsov public, which also belonged to a big factory in Dulevo (Дулево), Novgorod and Verbilkos (Вербилки). 1887 Matvey again changed the company name: Public M. S. Kuznetsov porcelain and faience factory. In 1908 the factory was manufactured more than 22.3 million of ceramic products, 11.4 million were porcelain, 3.7 million faience and 7.1 million halffaiance dishes. In 1913 at Riga`s factory worked 2,650 people.

At WWI period in 1915, factory equipment in 140 wagons were evacuated to Russia. After the war, in 1920s factory recovered manufacturing, from 1922 it belonged to the joint-stock company "M. S. Kuznetsov". In 1932, part of the stock Kuznetsov sold to Martins Kalnins and elected him as a joint stock M.S. Kuznetsov company Chairman. 1935 year shares company ended with a profit of LVL 10 thousand. In 1935, Latvian ambassador in Brussels gave Kuznetsov factory manufactured (by Suta sketches) coffee set to the Belgian king. In 1940 the factory was nationalized and renamed Riga ceramics factory in 1963 was included in the Riga Porcelain and faience Factory, in 1968 it was renamed as Riga porcelain factory.

Shipping details

  • Log in to see the cost for shipping this lot to your address.

Shipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.

Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.

Payment details

Doma Antikvariāts accepts the following payment methods: